Seen than, done that…I suppose on every long term travel there is a point where you don’t want to go to the next waterfall, see an other rain forest, not even want to do zip-lining (canopy) and just chill in the hostel for a few days. Yeah – travel blues obviously caught me in rainy Costa Rica.
Being a great destination for easy family or couple holidays, Costa Rica unfortunately did not inspire me to travel around. Luckily one of my roommates quickly came up with a great solution – Go to Nicaragua!
Having had no idea what to expect, Nicaragua easily made it to my top 10 travel countries. Why? Pretty easy – natural beauty combined with a good developed infrastructure at a moderate price level.
The country has a lot to offer:
- Amazing surfer beaches with baby turtles and beach parties
- Waking up from the monkey noise in remote jungle paradises
- Easy going Spanish colonial cities like Leon and Granada with good infrastructure
- And for sure tons of cool adventures around volcanoes:
- Going down a volcano with a wooden board (world-unique volcano boarding
- watching lava streams on top of the crater of Masaya volcano
- swimming, tubing, kayaking in the crater lake of Laguna Apoyo
Everything can be reached within a few hours – whole designated travel days in Nicaragua are rare.
As there are not (yet) so many people traveling in this great country you meet familiar faces wherever you go. Even guys I met in Guatemala one month before suddenly showed up to be my new dorm room mates. Traveling in Nicaragua feels like being on a long summer holidays with friends from student times – just enjoy and have a good time together for decent prices.
So all in all pretty good precondition for my onward journey in Central America and amazing Christmas days in Bocas del Toro – Panama.